Septoplasty

Does my insensitivity to airflow through the nose be due to crust formation post turbinoplasty?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a turbinoplasty with radiofrequency about 11 days ago. I have removed the splints on day 7. But it has been four days since I cannot feel pain, temperature, and the airflow in my noses. It first started with the left side, now on both sides. What can it be?   Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please give us the surgery notes? Turbinoplasty should not cause this problem. Is there any crust formation inside? Did the ENT do an endoscopy after surgery and clear all debris and crusts (I mean after pack removal/splint removal)? What medicines are you ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest treatment options for chronic sinusitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from nasal blockage for the past 1.5 months. Generally, I have cold and cough problems from past 10 to 12 years, which becomes worse during the weather change. Earlier, I had breathing problem, but have been experiencing nose blockage now. The nose will be blocked from bo...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ENT doctor would have advised you to undergo endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty. Surgery is the treatment of choice , because your problem seems to be chronic (from longer duration). If you do not want surgery, then you can take nasal spray (a combination...  Read Full »

Septoplasty done before three months and still had dry breathing. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,How long does it take for breathing to feel normal after septoplasty/ turbinate reduction? I had the surgery three months back, and my nose still feels stiff and breathing dry and cold at times. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It usually takes two weeks maximum for you to get back to normal. It largely depends on for what the septoplasty and turbinate reduction have been performed. If you were having allergic issues earlier, along with which a deviated nasal septum and turbinate hypertrophy...  Read Full »

I am bleeding after septoplasty. Should I see the doctor or can I take care of myself?

Query: Hello doctor,I had septoplasty in which my turbinates have been shaved, and adenoids were taken out. I had two bleeds already. It started bleeding again and is running down the back of my throat. Should I see the doctor or is this something that I can take care of myself? I am currently on Tranexami...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sit straight, slightly bring your head forward, and pinch both nostrils firmly. Now keep ice packs over the nose and either side of the nose (cheeks) and breathe through the mouth. This controls the bleeding. If you have Otrivin (Xylometazoline) or Nasivion (Oxymetaz...  Read Full »

My nose is swollen and tender after septoplasty. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Nine weeks post septoplasty/turbinate reduction. My nose feels swollen and tender on the inside. It feels like there is dry and ice cold air going up my nose. How long does it take to completely heal? I have used nasal rinses, sprays, etc.  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Septoplasty is corrective procedure. The wound on your nose will heal fairly quickly, and your breathing is likely to improve shortly after the procedure. However, the overall healing process can be slow. Cartilage and other nasal tissues can take up to a year to fu...  Read Full »

I have breathing issues after septoplasty. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Over a year ago I had operation to correct a deviated septum. Things started to get much better after healing. Now I am starting breathing issues when I lay down. Depending on which side my head is turned when I lay down that side of my nose that would be touching my pillow slowly s...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well to begin with, why was septoplasty performed in the first place? Did the similar symptoms exist before you underwent the surgery? If you did, then there is only one possibility left for the problems that you r having right now, that is undercorrection or incomple...  Read Full »

I experience frequent sinus infection even after FESS and septoplasty. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of sinusitis. Last year, I had chronic sinus symptoms and got a CT scan. It showed, nasal septum deviation, blocked maxillary and frontal sinusitis due to nasal polyps. I got a FESS and septoplasty done. This year, the symptoms reappeared strongly. I have severe heada...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I shall tweak your medicines a bit and let us see if that gets you an improvement. Change the antihistaminic to one with Montelukast. Say like Levocetirizine or Fexofenadine plus Montelukast 10 mg. Take this once daily. Take another antihistamine different from a...  Read Full »

How long does it take for septoplasty and turbinoplasty to heal?

Query: Hello doctor, I had septoplasty and turbinoplasty 16 days ago. After the surgery, they asked me to come back after two days for packs removal. Then after two days, I went to the hospital, other doctor look after me and he just removed one pack, even I asked him to remove the packs on both sides bu...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you underwent septoplasty and turbinoplasty and you have not completely recovered. After septoplasty post-operatively it takes about two to three months for complete healing and recovery. You must put Solspre nasal spray two puffs four times daily for a...  Read Full »

How long will the effect of anesthesia last in septoplasty surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is about a septoplasty operation for anesthesia. Doctor says I need this operation but I am scared of the anesthesia. Mostly scared about awareness and being paralyzed. Can someone give me a brief summary of drugs used during general anesthesia for a septoplasty? Is it p...  Read Full »

Dr. Prem

Anesthesiologist, Pain Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you need not get scared about getting general anesthesia for your surgery (septoplasty). For your surgery, general anesthesia is the best option for anesthetizing you. One more point is that you need not be afraid about awareness and being paralyzed sin...  Read Full »

What is nasal septal deviation with spur formation?

Query: Hi doctor, Over six months I have had what was thought to be an epidermoid cyst at the end of the right side of my nose. I have taken antibiotics on a regular basis as there is redness, swelling and tenderness in the area when inflamed. Approximately 2 weeks ago this cyst on my nose became very inf...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It means there is obstruction to your sinus drainage because of a deviated nasal septum with spur and concha bullosa, leading to recurrent sinusitis. Due to retained secretions in the paranasal sinuses there is infection and headache. Nasal septum deviation to the r...  Read Full »