Q. What is the reason for an extra bone on one side of both the legs?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I am an 18 year old male. My brother and I seem to have an extra bone on one side of both the legs. I had this from my childhood, but there is no unique pain in it. Recently, I found that other people do not have that extra bone. Here is the picture for your reference. May I know the reason for this? Please explain.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• The extra bone, is a sesamoid bone called as fabella or cyamella. These sesamoid bones are normal anatomical variant.
  • They are nonfunctional in humans. They do not cause any symptoms unless there is a fracture or constant irritation of the region by external pressure causing sore or bursitis formation.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|