Q. What causes pain at sesamoid bone?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

I am a triathlete. Before six months, I suffered from shin splint. I took rest for five months. I am underpronator runner. I consulted for gait analysis and then chose new running shoe Nike Pegasus 31. I feel comfortable and feel less shin pain using it. But, when I run more than five miles, I feel pain at sesamoid bone. How to cure and prevent it? Can I change the shoe? Will it help? Please suggest.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Chronic irritation at the site of sesamoid can cause sesamoiditis, which can be a chronic painful condition.
  • There are a few points which I can recommend about the shoes. Narrow toe box predispose to hallux valgus (deformity of the big toe).
  • Sesamoid pain and displacement can result on a long term basis. So, adequate toe box space is recommended.
  • Second thing with shoes is it should have soft cushioned insoles especially at the level of forefoot and hindfoot to deal with the strain of weight bearing sites.
  • Application of ultrasound by physiotherapist at the site of pain is an effective method for acute pain relief. A course of anti-inflammatory medication along with hot fomentation is also advised.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now