Q. What causes pain at sesamoid bone?

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Chawla
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a triathlete. Before six months, I suffered from shin splint. I took rest for five months. I am underpronator runner. I consulted for gait analysis and then chose new running shoe Nike Pegasus 31. I feel comfortable and feel less shin pain using it. But, when I run more than five miles, I feel pain at sesamoid bone. How to cure and prevent it? Can I change the shoe? Will it help? Please suggest.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Chronic irritation at the site of sesamoid can cause sesamoiditis, which can be a chronic painful condition.
  • There are a few points which I can recommend about the shoes. Narrow toe box predispose to hallux valgus (deformity of the big toe).
  • Sesamoid pain and displacement can result on a long term basis. So, adequate toe box space is recommended.
  • Second thing with shoes is it should have soft cushioned insoles especially at the level of forefoot and hindfoot to deal with the strain of weight bearing sites.
  • Application of ultrasound by physiotherapist at the site of pain is an effective method for acute pain relief. A course of anti-inflammatory medication along with hot fomentation is also advised.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.