Q. What is the reason for extreme fatigue despite normal blood report?

Dr. Hariharan V
Published on Dec 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 28, 2019

I am suffering from low-grade fever, hair loss, and extreme tiredness. There is pain and burning sensation in my stomach along with loss of appetite and weight gain. I got my ANA test done and it came positive. My ESR level has increased. All my other test results found to be negative. Please help.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) and observed that there is no autoimmune disease present.

Since you have been suffering from multiple joint pains for the past one year, you should have tested for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) factor and got done ASO (Anti-streptolysin O) titer. ANA (anti-nuclear autoantibodies) can be elevated even in slight fever, hence no need to worry for the same. Did you get affected by chikungunya anytime before?

It has been mentioned that your 3D reports are normal. Please do attach those reports for my reference. I would suggest you to kindly get the following tests done:

1. RA factor.
  2. C-ANCA (cytoplasmic anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody) and p-ANCA (perinuclear anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody).
  3. ASO titer.
  4. Bone marrow biopsy; please get it done immediately with a pathologist.

I am very much worried as all my reports are found to be normal but still I am unable to do even my daily chores. There has been no change in my condition. I am suffering from extreme fatigue, hair loss, loss of appetite, fever and weight gain. Is biopsy a must? I am trying to get pregnant and I have undergone a CT abdomen and pelvis to rule out any abnormality. Please let me know, what other disease I am suffering from?

Dr. Hariharan V

#

I have checked your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the tests you provided.

Long term fever can have many causes. Some viral fever can last for nearly six months and disappear by itself. Fever is one of the causes of your fatigue. Once fever gets reduced your fatigue too will reduce gradually.

Burning sensation in the stomach that you have been experiencing since few days is mainly because of ulcer, fever is one of the causes for the same. There is loss of appetite. It can be due to ulcer, indigestion, fever or the medications you have been taking for a long duration. Based on your CT abdomen, there is no lymph node in your abdomen.

Hair fall can be due to many reasons. Eating low protein diet because of loss of appetite too can be a cause. Only a few diseases can be corrected with the medicine intake like autoimmune disease and leukemia. That is why the above tests were needed, which you have not done until now. Once the actual cause gets identified and treated, then you can get pregnant as there is no problem with your uterus and ovaries.

How to cure ulcers and mouth stiffness developed due to pan chewing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got ulcers in my mouth due to chewing pan masala, and I have stopped eating it now. I am unable to eat spicy food and hot foods. I have developed stiffness in my inner mouth. So I am unable to open my mouth. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms and signs indicate that you have a white lesion. I need to check your cheek area and if you can send a photograph with an open mouth, focus on the cheek region so that I can precisely see and say you the current condition. It can be oral submucous fibrosis...  Read Full

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both, Minoxidil and Finasteride takes time to act and in some cases it will take two to three months. Both are FDA - Food and Drug Administration approved for androgenic alopecia. You should always remember that if it is used once, then you need to take it for a lifetime...  Read Full

I have ulceration on my penis years after a risky exposure. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,In my teenage, I used a condom that was already used by someone, laying on the street. I have done the same thrice or so. After that, I got wound, sores and also ulceration on my penis. The same was recurrent occasionally and after that its occurrence was rare. Now, I am 34 and right no...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your problem and understand your concern. These below mentioned are the common cause of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases): HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Hepatitis B and C. Herpes. Syphilis. Chlamydia infection. You have a negati...  Read Full