Q. I have ulcers and stiffness in my mouth due to chewing pan. What to do?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have got ulcers in my mouth due to chewing pan masala, and I have stopped eating it now. I am unable to eat spicy food and hot foods. I have developed stiffness in my inner mouth. So I am unable to open my mouth. Please suggest.

#

Your symptoms and signs indicate that you have a white lesion. I need to check your cheek area and if you can send a photograph with an open mouth, focus on the cheek region so that I can precisely see and say you the current condition. It can be oral submucous fibrosis, fungal infection, and lichen planus.

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your inner side of the cheek looks that you have a white lesion and due to that, you have all these symptoms. Please send a photograph with a mouth opening and measure the mouth opening with a scale from the edge of the central tooth to the lower edge of the central tooth.

There is a need for having further information to initiate treatment. If it is a case of oral submucous fibrosis, you need to take it seriously. The other two conditions require treatment. But they are minor. Stop smoking.

| 

Why is there pain at the site of wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a wisdom tooth and an adjacent molar removed two days ago. Everything has healed nicely except a very painful white spot in the very back of my cheek next to the extraction site. What could this be? I have attached photographs for your reference.  Read Full »

Can chewing tobacco reduce mouth opening?

Query: Hi doctor, I can barely open my mouth up to three fingers space. Is it bad or normal? I have never noticed this before, only recently I happen to see this. I chew tobacco. Is that causing it? Is it serious?  Read Full »

How can we manage the pain during wisdom teeth eruption?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. My wisdom teeth are erupting. I have pain in my back of the mouth on my gums. How long does it take for them to come out finally? And how can I deal with this pain? I was awake for three nights. It is keeping me awake at night. It is causing a lot of pain. Last time, I...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»