Q. I have ulcers and stiffness in my mouth due to chewing pan. What to do?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have got ulcers in my mouth due to chewing pan masala, and I have stopped eating it now. I am unable to eat spicy food and hot foods. I have developed stiffness in my inner mouth. So I am unable to open my mouth. Please suggest.

#

Your symptoms and signs indicate that you have a white lesion. I need to check your cheek area and if you can send a photograph with an open mouth, focus on the cheek region so that I can precisely see and say you the current condition. It can be oral submucous fibrosis, fungal infection, and lichen planus.

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your inner side of the cheek looks that you have a white lesion and due to that, you have all these symptoms. Please send a photograph with a mouth opening and measure the mouth opening with a scale from the edge of the central tooth to the lower edge of the central tooth.

There is a need for having further information to initiate treatment. If it is a case of oral submucous fibrosis, you need to take it seriously. The other two conditions require treatment. But they are minor. Stop smoking.

|