Q. Why is there enlarged node six months after unprotected sex even though HIV tests are negative?

Dr. Sushma Shah
Published on Jul 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2019

After my risky exposure with CSW, day 10th HIV RNA PCR with Taqman method and four weeks and 12 weeks CMIA test at laboratory, all are non-reactive but symptoms appear after six weeks and still a node exists that is enlarged in front of the ear since three months, no change and no pain. Only one symptom, please clarify the node related to ARS. My tests are concluded? I have read that six months window period is used for ruling out HIV. Is it true? ARS symptom lymph node exists for how many days?

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Lots of tests you have undergone and all have turned negative, so you cannot label as HIV positive. If the lymphnode is big enough, consult a general surgeon for FNAC needle biopsy and histopathological examination will give clear picture about what it is. So, you can be treated. Till then you can take tablet Signoflam three times a day after food for five days, tablet Augmentin 625 three times a day after food for five days. It may reduce or vanish.

Sometimes, it is idiopathic, so remains dormated but you can go for removal of the lymphnode.

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Type 1 herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active lesions....  Read Full

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel that you are experiencing an early stage of urinary infection. When you have sex, some penile secretions and semen may enter the bladder. It is a good practice to pass urine after sex. This may not need medication. Have lots of water, milk, juice, barley water or...  Read Full

What can cause lymph node enlargement in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to seek your help on higher lymphocyte count. I am taking antibiotics after my doctor noticed enlarged lymph nodes on my neck and edge of my ears. I am under medication to check whether this infection is due to some throat issues or not. But, my ESR count remains same after a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you are suffering from an inflammatory condition, which is either viral or chronic bacterial. In both these cases lymphocyte counts could be higher. Your other cell counts are normal including platelets and RBC count (red blood cell). You need not w...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now