Q. Why is there shivering for a couple of seconds only while sleeping?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Sep 20, 2018

My father, age 67, while sleeping has shivers for a couple of seconds. This happens after an interval of 1 to 2 minutes. Is it something to be worried or concerned about? He is consuming BP control medicine Amlong 0.5 mg daily. No other ongoing health problems apart from his knee pain. Just curious to know what is happening and why is it there only while sleeping?

#

I understand all your concerns. I have checked the attached files and videos thoroughly (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can reassure you that these movements are due to hypotonia during sleep and not due to medical disease, nothing to worry about. I have noticed that he has a high lipid profile (high cholesterol and high triglycerides) which increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Please let me know if he follows a healthy diet and takes lipid-lowering medications. In patients with hypertension, controlling lipids is important in order to prevent serious complications. Wish him all well being.

My husband has extreme shivering and profuse sweating at night. Should we take him to the ER?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband was in a below-freezing weather all weekend, day and night, for military training. Nine of the men he was with went to the hospital for various cold weather injuries. Since coming home, he has been suffering from what seems like a cold in the daytime, but at night, he has extr...  Read Full »

Can sudden asphyxia cause brain injury in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about the health of my nephew who has got brain injury during his birth. In the past he had DHA supplements and used to do exercise. I need your consult regarding the extent of injury, effects, solutions and medication. Please guide.  Read Full »

What is Ecosprin AV 75 used for?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes, my father used to get chest pain. Angiography showed that he has a LAD bridging and vessels are normal and clear. His echo is normal. His BP, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal. After the chest pain, he was given the following medicines for one year. They are Stator, Is...  Read Full »