Q. Why did my shoulder get dislocated for the second time? How do I treat it?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Nov 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 30 years old. I met with an accident some nine years ago which resulted in a chip fracture of the left shoulder acromion. After nine months, I had a shoulder dislocation in the same shoulder which was corrected by a bone setter at home. Recently, the same shoulder again got dislocated while sleeping which was corrected again by a bone setter at home. Below are the conclusions from the MRI report: Avulsion of the anterior glenoid from the glenoid margin in the anteroinferior position suggestive of a Bankart lesion. Concave deformity of the posterosuperior lateral aspect of the humeral head with underlying marrow edema suggestive of a Hill-Sachs lesion. Subchondral cyst in the greater tuberosity beneath the attachment of the supraspinatus tendon. Please advise me on the above. Also, please advise if any shoulder braces or supports are available in the market which can help avoid further dislocations. Thanks a lot for the assistance.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Shoulder dislocation in sleep and also for the second time points that you will require a surgery called arthroscopic Bankart repair.
  • Also, shoulder dislocation can be prevented if you avoid external rotation of the arm and shoulder. A simple arm sling brace will work.
  • I suggest you get the surgery done as this will help regain your strength in the shoulder.

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with the clinical findings. Regards.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I jumped off a boat and my sternum popped. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 year old female. I jumped off a boat and my sternum popped. I have swelling and severe pain. I am taking Ibuprofen. It hurts to breathe and move my arms. I have a history of osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, and scoliosis.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now