Q. I had a shoulder surgery done recently. Can I go for a trip this month?

Dr. Saseendar S
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I had a labrum tear. I had shoulder surgery done a month ago. They repaired the tissues back into place. My cousins have planned for a trip to the beach next month. The doctor has advised me to take off the sling that week. I do not know if I can go with them soon after removing the sling. The place will be crowded, and I am scared something might happen. Do you recommend not going, or is there any option to let me go but be safe?

#

I understand that you recently had surgery on the shoulder (I guess it is arthroscopic Bankart repair). In any case, I would not restrict you from going to the occasion. However, I generally advise my patients not to lift the arm or rotate the arm outwards for a minimum of six weeks. These movements are likely to cause harm to your repair. Any activity that does not cause these movements is allowed. So, if you can avoid these, go ahead with the trip. But if you fear that you could move your arm or someone could disturb you, which is likely to happen in a crowded place, I would strongly advise you to use your sling. The sling will help others stay away from you.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|