Q. My ECG report shows 800 sinus rhythm. What is my status?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Dec 05, 2019

My ECG report shows:

800 normal sinus rhythm.

331 negative PV1.

Left atrial enlargement.

500 RSR pattern in V1/V2. What is my status?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

The limited details provided in the query suggest that your heart is racing at the normal rhythm that is known medically as sinus rhythm. There is enlargement of the left-sided upper chamber of the heart named atrium that receives blood from the lungs after the lungs have mixed all the oxygen in that blood. Probable causes may be stenosed mitral valve of heart or some abnormality with the musculature of the heart chambers.

The rSr pattern on an EKG (electrocardiogram) V1 and V2 can be due to benign non-pathologic variant of the rSr pattern (may be seen in an asymptomatic and healthy person). Sometimes this is normal variant of the rSr pattern on EKG leads. But if the patient gets a heart attack, syncope or cardiac arrest meanwhile, this rSr pattern is misleading then and is taken as a pathological one. In severe heart diseases that may be even life-threatening such as Brugada syndrome and arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia.

There is a negative P wave in lead V1 and may be normal physiologic variant as seen in less than 10% of individuals (notching of the P wave on EKG). Sometimes this negative P wave is due to real abnormality in case of a left atrial enlargement or right atrial disease.

Final suggestion: It is always difficult to explain EKG without actually seeing it, along with all the case scenarios in front of you and also needs a physical examination of the heart with a stethoscope. So, please consult a cardiologist for an in-office complete evaluation of the heart along with signs, symptoms, diagnostic tests and all case history.

| 

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

My ECG shows normal sinus rhythm with arrhythmia. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, Normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia shows ECG reports. Please advise is it good, or do I need to take any action?  Read Full »

Can ECG changes occur due to anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetes patient. Recently, I had an ECG done which showed borderline normal sinus arrythmia. Immediately, I had a 2D echo and it showed a normal study. But my blood pressure is not normal. It is around 150/90 and so my doctor advised me to take Betaloc-50. In addition to this, I ...  Read Full »