Q. I was diagnosed with sinus arrhythmia. Should I be worried?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I am 21 years old and never had any issues of bad health. I recently woke up a few days ago with an irregular heartbeat, and it felt weird. Like 1-2-1-2-123-1-2 so on. So I went to the doctor. I had an ECG done, and the doctor told me it was sinus arrhythmia, and he was not at all worried about it, and it is common. I feel fine. So I had bloodwork done. Everything came back normal. Except for high red blood cell count 5.54. They did not say anything about that, though. Should I be worried about this becoming something more serious? Sometimes my left arm is colder than my right. I am a hypochondriac lol, so please let me know about all of this.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

An irregular heartbeat can be very much normal in healthy people and also sometimes abnormal. Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are normal sometimes. On the other hand, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is abnormal rhythm, that has long term complications. These are the two most common reasons for an irregular heartbeat.

If you again develop such heartbeats, then long term ECG monitoring (Holter monitoring for 48 hours or event monitor) may be done to diagnose abnormal rhythm. Sinus arrhythmia is almost never felt. Avoid alcohol, smoking, caffeine, and stress. Follow-up if you again have any such complaint.

I am experiencing heart flutters and skipped beats. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 160 lbs. I have been experiencing weird heart flutters and skipped beats. It mostly happens when I am at the gym lifting weight, and taking a deep breath in while doing so. I have always exercised without experiencing such feelin...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are probably having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), which are extra beats and most of the time are benign and not worrisome. The other possibility is atrial fibrillation, especially, if you have episodes of rapid heart beat. Usually, at this young age, i...  Read Full

How to identify the reason for palpitations?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations. Also, I have occasional breathlessness. For a while, I used Propranolol. But, it did not work. So, the doctor asked me to do a thyroid test and the result was normal. I do not know what to do. Please help  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Palpitations can be out of two types. Sinus arrhythmia (only fast heart rate, but rhythm is normal) and this is not to be worried. Arrhythmias - There are many types of arrhythmias, some are atrial in origin and some are ventricular in origin. If your thyroid...  Read Full