Q. I was diagnosed with sinus arrhythmia. Should I be worried?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2020

I am 21 years old and never had any issues of bad health. I recently woke up a few days ago with an irregular heartbeat, and it felt weird. Like 1-2-1-2-123-1-2 so on. So I went to the doctor. I had an ECG done, and the doctor told me it was sinus arrhythmia, and he was not at all worried about it, and it is common. I feel fine. So I had bloodwork done. Everything came back normal. Except for high red blood cell count 5.54. They did not say anything about that, though. Should I be worried about this becoming something more serious? Sometimes my left arm is colder than my right. I am a hypochondriac lol, so please let me know about all of this.

#

An irregular heartbeat can be very much normal in healthy people and also sometimes abnormal. Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are normal sometimes. On the other hand, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is abnormal rhythm, that has long term complications. These are the two most common reasons for an irregular heartbeat.

If you again develop such heartbeats, then long term ECG monitoring (Holter monitoring for 48 hours or event monitor) may be done to diagnose abnormal rhythm. Sinus arrhythmia is almost never felt. Avoid alcohol, smoking, caffeine, and stress. Follow-up if you again have any such complaint.

|