Sinus Lift

Is it necessary to get sinus lift surgery before implant placement?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a tooth pulled about six months ago and continued to have slight pain at the site. I was told today that it is because my sinuses are so low and they suggested I get a sinus lift, bone graft, and implant. I have terrible dental anxiety (my blood pressure goes up just thinking of...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, if the sinus is low, then sinus lift procedure is a must to place an implant. Without sinus lift, an implant cannot be placed. It is a surgical procedure that can be very effectively done by an oral surgeon or a trained implantologist, so you need not be so worrie...  Read Full »

Is such a high dose of Levofloxacin necessary after implant placement?

Query: Hello doctor,I have just had a sinus lift graft and implants placed. The dentist has prescribed 500 mg of Levofloxacin every 12 hours for 10 days, plus Augmentin, plus Ibuprofen and Dexamethasone. My question is whether the Levofloxacin is necessary and why is it such a high dose? I have read it sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In usual cases here, we just give Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg twice a day for a week or two which is more than enough and Levofloxacin is not required. Maybe your dentist is being extra sure that you do not get any infection at the site. The do...  Read Full »

Why did my dentist suggest sinus lift for placing implant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have consulted four dentists with my x-rays. After years of failed root canals, cavities, gum disease and eventually failed four tooth bridge, I am now seeking implants that will hold a hybrid bridge to replace my upper arch. I need six implants with a full contour Zirconium prosthesis...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that you have a low sinus floor level on the left side of the picture of the x-ray. I cannot say whether it is the left or right side of yours through this picture. It might be helpful i...  Read Full »