Q. Should I get sinus lift surgery before implant placement?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Nov 23, 2018

I had a tooth pulled about six months ago and continued to have slight pain at the site. I was told today that it is because my sinuses are so low and they suggested I get a sinus lift, bone graft, and implant. I have terrible dental anxiety (my blood pressure goes up just thinking of going to the dentist) that I really do not want to go through all this if I do not have to. I did some research and it sounds much more involved than I think I can handle, not to mention the cost involved. I am 51 and not really worried about having an implant put in because of the cost as well. What I want to know is what would happen if I do not get the sinus lift? Will it eventually calm down or will it get worse? Before I agree to this procedure, I really want to know all my options. I understand that dentists believe that implants are the best but this is an involved procedure that costs a lot of money and downtime that I really cannot afford.

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

Well, if the sinus is low, then sinus lift procedure is a must to place an implant. Without sinus lift, an implant cannot be placed. It is a surgical procedure that can be very effectively done by an oral surgeon or a trained implantologist, so you need not be so worried about it. Can you please tell what do you have just irritation in the extraction area or there are associated symptoms like pain on the cheek around the nose or nasal congestion, etc.? Also, upload the X-ray so that I can advise you more precisely. Please revert back with answers.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I do have some face pain in the cheek and nose area and I am prone to sinus infections. I do not have the X-rays but the dentist did one and said that the extraction site looks good and is healing as it should and the surrounding teeth are fine. I understand the need for the sinus lift for the implant but I basically want to know if just having a low sinus would cause pain at the extraction site? I have never heard of that and I have had teeth pulled before and never had these issues.

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

Pain at the extraction area along with pain in cheek and nose looks associated as the pain can be most probably originating from the sinus. As you already have low sinus, this is another reason that the extraction site can become more tender. It is commonly seen that if you have sinus infection then you can experience pain in upper gums and teeth. So, pain in the extraction site can be very much due to a sinus infection. I would suggest you take a small course of antibiotics and painkillers and see if the symptoms improve.

Noncoronary sinus of valsalva is prominent in CT scan. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a CT scan with contrast and they found this: The noncoronary sinus of valsalva is prominent. At this level, in the coronal plane, the aortic root measures 4.0 cm in diameter. What does this mean and should I do anything about it? I am 37 years old male, exercise a lot. Resting...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your aortic root is mildly dilated. If you do not have any other systemic diseases like any diagnosed syndrome like Marfans or Ehler Danlos etc., then this needs no treatment at present, but just observation. At this borderline dimensions, we just observe the patients ...  Read Full

My salivary gland is blocked. Is it related to silent sinus syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to the ER for a painful gland. It turned out that I have a blocked salivary gland. When the CT scan was taken, there were notes in the report about silent sinus syndrome and other things that were never even brought up to me. I have uploaded the report. Is there anything in t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a calcification in the left submandibular gland, which needs to be removed, as it is troubling you. Silent sinus syndrome is due to maxillary sinusitis, which involves the orb...  Read Full

How to Avoid Dental Neglects?

Article Overview: In recent years, most people are aware of or at least have heard of root canal treatment, crowns, bridges, dentures, and dental implants. What they do not realize is that these are treatments for a dental disaster. People go in search of a dentist only if there is a shooting pain. They forget the that there are certain preventive measures to save the tooth. This article reveals the tips and tricks for a better oral hygiene and also discusses the most common dental neglects. Read Article

From childhood, we are taught how to take care of our oral cavity, and it is engraved in our minds. Tooth brushing remains the major pillar in maintaining good oral hygiene. But, is that the only way to prevent dental disasters? Do you think we are neglecting something? The answer is yes. Statistics...  Read Article

Ask a Periodontist Now