Q. How to get rid of puffy eyes and pressure inside the nose in sinusitis?

Dr. Bn Bhagat

I have been dealing with bad sinus infections for a long time now. I have a deviated septum, and I am waiting for a second surgery to get it fixed properly. I recently dealt with a bad sinus infection with swollen nose and pressure inside the nose between my eyes and upper cheeks. My eyes are getting extremely puffy in the morning. I am getting really big bags under my eyes.

So, I consulted my doctor on the phone, and I asked for some antibiotics. He gave me a prescription that has Pulmicort nasal rinses, Cetirizine, and Clarithromycin. I used Pulmicort rises and Cetirizine, and it seemed to help my breathing and blocked nose. I have not taken any antibiotics yet.

When I woke up in the middle of the night today, my eyes were extremely dry, and I was blinking crazy, and my eyes were hurting a bit. I still have mild pain on the top of my nose and sinuses with pressure inside my nose.

Could this be a bacterial infection, and should I take the antibiotics to feel better?

Kindly help.

#

I have read your query. I am sorry for the discomfort you are having. You have deviated nasal septum (DNS). And it is one of the most significant causes of repeated or recurrent sinus infections. Facial pain over the cheek signifies maxillary sinus involvement, and frontal headache indicates frontal sinus involvement.

Since you have mentioned that you have been dealing with bad sinus infections for a long time now, you probably have chronic sinusitis. This causes stasis of the mucus secretions, which in due course becomes infected. Allergic sinusitis can be resolved quickly with avoidance of allergen exposure and taking antiallergic medication. If it is infectious sinusitis caused by bacteria, there would be discolored nasal discharge and postnasal drip.

Since you have had sinusitis for a long time, it would be best to take an antibiotic in the recommended dose and duration as prescribed by your treating doctor. The antibiotic would work and help you relieve the symptoms.

Regarding dry eyes, it could be a symptom of sinusitis or due to antiallergic medicines like Cetrizine. If the dry eyes hurt more with movement or blinking, you can try an artificial teardrop.

Thanks.

|