Q. I have a headache and nasal stuffiness. What could be my problem?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

I have a headache, swallowing tightness and an odd feeling when putting the finger on the back of my tongue (not soreness), left shoulder blade ache, and nasal stuffiness. I cannot find out what the problem is. I have seen a gastro doctor, who has done two endoscopies. The second time with a biopsy. The findings were normal. I saw an ENT physician, who noticed a swelling in my nasal passage and some swelling at the back of my throat. There was nothing he deemed sinister though. I had two MRI of the brain, which was also normal. Please, advice on whom to see and the potential causes. It would be much appreciated as this problem has been going on for a year.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Please get an X-ray of the paranasal sinuses done and send me the picture.
  • Are you taking any medicines?

Revert with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I am on Flixonase nasal steroids for over a month and I have noticed some improvement in my nasal stuffiness. As soon as I stopped taking them, the stuffiness has returned. It does not really seem to be getting to the root of the problem. Please see the attached image. It has something highlighted in my maxillary sinus. Do you think I need further investigation?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have bilateral maxillary sinusitis with the right side more affected than the left and nasal mucosal hypertrophy. You should get a septoplasty with a sinus surgery done.
  • Get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses done to see the condition of the other sinuses. Continue the nasal spray. It will help you with your symptoms.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your response. I was informed that the maxillary sinus cyst was nothing to worry about and it would heal on its own. Do you disagree? Do I require further investigations?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Your X-ray shows a maxillary sinus polyp. As per your symptoms, it must be operated. An endoscopic sinus surgery is a safe procedure to undergo. You should get a CT scan done to confirm the diagnosis.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|