Q. I have sinusitis with inability to taste and eat food. How to treat the problem?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have bad sinusitis. I am unable to taste and eat food. I feel so weak and dehydrated. I have trouble while swallowing liquids or solid foods without throat pain. But there is congestion in the nasal passage. It does not allow me to drink or eat properly. I went to the emergency to get IV fluids but I still feel dizzy and my nose scents a smell of salty and it gives a salty taste in my mouth. It makes me very weak and dizzy.

#

The sinuses that surround the nose secrete mucus and it is secreted into the nose. This mucus triggers backward into the throat and it ends up flowing throughout the day. This gives a salty taste and at night, it ends up by collecting in the throat. When we wake up, we can feel it. This is known as a postnasal drip. This leads to congestion in the throat and hence we get throat pain. You need to take some medicines and steam inhalation can be followed for nose drops. This helps to drain sinuses better and it reduces the amount of secretions produced at night.

You can take tablet Levocetirizine one tablet at night for five days, Otrivin nasal drops (Xylometazoline hydrochloride) can be taken along with steam inhalation through the nose three times a day for five minutes. You can also take tablet Ambroxol one tablet three times a day for five days, take tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen with Paracetamol) one tablet two times a day for five days. You can dilute Betadine gargle one cap in one glass of warm water and use this gargle three times a day for five days.

|