Q. Why is Z-pak not helping my sinus infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
Published on Jun 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I am a 41 year old female. I have been sick for almost a month now. I went to my doctor and he gave me Z-pak antibiotic for sinus infection. Normally, Z-pak makes me feel 100% better in a day or two after taking them. Instead of feeling better, I felt worse. I have completed all the Z-pak and still no improvement. All eight days of taking the antibiotic, I was coughing up thick green mucus, thick green mucus when blowing my nose and feeling extremely bad with no energy. I went to the ER and a chest x-ray and blood work were ordered. I was given a bag of IV fluids as well. The doctor said I have an upper respiratory infection (viral) and malaise. I was told to take rest, drink lots of fluids and get a decongestant and that is exactly what I did. Now, almost a month gone by and I still do not feel better at all. Does an upper respiratory infection supposed to last this long?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

The symptoms you are experiencing can be due to any of the following.

• Superadded bacterial infection that will require again an antibiotic, which is better to do a culture of the mucus to detect which antibiotic is suitable.
  • The ongoing viral infection, which is usually self-limited and do not require an antiviral medication.
  • An allergic element, which usually affects the sinuses, leading to sinusitis. So, you may benefit from an over-the-counter antihistamine such as Diphenhydramine and a decongestant nasal spray as Phenylephrine or Oxymetazoline.
  • You will need symptomatic treatment for your symptoms such as for cough you need a cough suppressant and expectorant. If you feel fatigue and body pain, then I suggest Ibuprofen tablets every 8 hours. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Can I take Hydroxyzine Hcl 25 mg while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is four months pregnant now. She has itchy palms. The doctor advised to take tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine hydrochloride). Is it safe to have this tablet during pregnancy? Kindly guide.  Read Full »