Q. Why is Z-pak not helping my sinus infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am a 41 year old female. I have been sick for almost a month now. I went to my doctor and he gave me Z-pak antibiotic for sinus infection. Normally, Z-pak makes me feel 100% better in a day or two after taking them. Instead of feeling better, I felt worse. I have completed all the Z-pak and still no improvement. All eight days of taking the antibiotic, I was coughing up thick green mucus, thick green mucus when blowing my nose and feeling extremely bad with no energy. I went to the ER and a chest x-ray and blood work were ordered. I was given a bag of IV fluids as well. The doctor said I have an upper respiratory infection (viral) and malaise. I was told to take rest, drink lots of fluids and get a decongestant and that is exactly what I did. Now, almost a month gone by and I still do not feel better at all. Does an upper respiratory infection supposed to last this long?

#

The symptoms you are experiencing can be due to any of the following.

• Superadded bacterial infection that will require again an antibiotic, which is better to do a culture of the mucus to detect which antibiotic is suitable.
  • The ongoing viral infection, which is usually self-limited and do not require an antiviral medication.
  • An allergic element, which usually affects the sinuses, leading to sinusitis. So, you may benefit from an over-the-counter antihistamine such as Diphenhydramine and a decongestant nasal spray as Phenylephrine or Oxymetazoline.
  • You will need symptomatic treatment for your symptoms such as for cough you need a cough suppressant and expectorant. If you feel fatigue and body pain, then I suggest Ibuprofen tablets every 8 hours. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|