Q. Why there is a constant mucus flow from the nasal cavity to the throat?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I have a dry nose feel like, and I have constant mucus running from my nasal cavity to my throat. I always clear throat coughing up clear mucus or clumps. I have a very little sore throat. Always feel like I got something stuck in the bottom of my throat.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Mucus trickling down to the throat from nasal cavity is suggestive of sinusitis.

When your sinuses are infected, the normal physiology of nose is lost, and mucociliary action of the nasal mucosa is lost which causes the formation of thick mucus which trickles down to the throat and causes secondary throat, and larynx infection.

The patient will feel that something is stuck in their throat.

Do you have any symptom of a headache (frontal especially) or excessive sneezing or watering of eyes?

A headache is again the symptom of sinusitis, and excessive sneezing and watering of eyes will be more of allergy.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I have a mild headache. I have been sneezing a little more here lately. There are no watery eyes. Just coughing a lot because of the drainage. I am a mouth breather. I think I have a deviated septum. I get more air out of the left than right.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If you have difficulty in breathing as well then definitely you have some pathology in the nose.

It can be either deviated nasal septum or sinusitis with or without deviated nasal septum or polyp or mass in the nasal cavity.

For sinuses to rule out, you should get the nasal endoscopy done and if needed after nasal endoscopy CT (computed tomography) scan of nose and sinuses will be needed.

As of now, you can start on nasal spray which has Azelastine and Fluticasone.

• Take this spray for six weeks once in the morning and once in the night. Each nostril you should put one puff.
  • Also if you have thick discharge start taking tablet Acetylcysteine 120 mg once daily. It is a mucolytic which will dissolve thick phlegm.
  • You can continue your routine medication, and this will give you temporary relief. You need to get nasal endoscopy and CT scan done to rule out underlying pathology

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|