Q. What will be the reaction of our skin on a cellular level while on make up and cleansing?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 03, 2019

What happens to our skin on a cellular level when we put on makeup, cleanse, as you finish cleansing on a cellular level (that tight feeling)? Is it harmful to your skin to not have a barrier against the elements, even if it is in our home? Please help.

#

Your interest to know the skin system is appreciated. The skin has several layers of cells packed closed to each other. This packing is due to cementing substances between the cells that do not allow external things to enter inside the body. However, the strength of this packing is weakened in dry skin, infections, skin diseases, trauma, etc. On cleansing the skin, the outer dead cells are eliminated, and inner cells are hydrated. This makes skin supple. But sometime after cleansing, the water evaporates and leaves the skin dry, making it tight.

Makeup can be considered as an application of an external layer of substance on the skin. If a moisturizer is used, it locks the water content in the skin and avoids tightening. If the application is physical like a foundation, it forms a uniform layer of skin covering the openings of glands and follicles too. This gives an even tone. However, the substances externally applied can enter the skin through weakened gaps between cells or through follicles or glands, which can lead to skin diseases. So there is a need to have a sound skin barrier system. I hope I have addressed your query. If you need clarifications, I am happy to help.

What could the lesions on the back of a 65-year-old man be?

Query: Hello doctor, My dad is 65 years old and has lesions on his back. I have attached images for your reference. What could these be? He has a normal liver function test although his abdominal ultrasound shows fatty liver grade 2. He also has a normal lipid profile.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The dark spots are perhaps seborrheic keratosis which is a benign epidermal skin lesion. They are a part of aging and only of cosmetic concern. If desired, the seborrheic kera...  Read Full

Natural Skin Care Treatments

Article Overview: Do you all know why natural ingredients are important for the skin? The word natural means that it is an ingredient available in nature and has a tremendous effect on one’s health since mother earth has blessed us with these lovely vitamins and minerals naturally available through fruits and vegetables. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Cosmetologist

Following are certain reasons why natural ingredients are very important for human skin. Hydrating Effect on the Skin Natural ingredients have an awesome hydrating effect on the skin since various fruit and vegetable extracts are rich in moisture and keep our skin free from forming an oily layer. ...  Read Article

Article Overview: This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter. Read Article

Dr. Anagha Kumar

Skin, the largest and the most attractive organ of our body faces a lot of challenges during winters. Cold, dry winters tend to steal the moisture from your skin making it appear flaky, dry and dull. There are also a few diseases like psoriasis and atopic dermatitis that have an increased incidence ...  Read Article

Ask a Cosmetologist Now