Q. What will be the reaction of our skin on a cellular level while on make up and cleansing?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash

What happens to our skin on a cellular level when we put on makeup, cleanse, as you finish cleansing on a cellular level (that tight feeling)? Is it harmful to your skin to not have a barrier against the elements, even if it is in our home? Please help.

#

Your interest to know the skin system is appreciated. The skin has several layers of cells packed closed to each other. This packing is due to cementing substances between the cells that do not allow external things to enter inside the body. However, the strength of this packing is weakened in dry skin, infections, skin diseases, trauma, etc. On cleansing the skin, the outer dead cells are eliminated, and inner cells are hydrated. This makes skin supple. But sometime after cleansing, the water evaporates and leaves the skin dry, making it tight.

Makeup can be considered as an application of an external layer of substance on the skin. If a moisturizer is used, it locks the water content in the skin and avoids tightening. If the application is physical like a foundation, it forms a uniform layer of skin covering the openings of glands and follicles too. This gives an even tone. However, the substances externally applied can enter the skin through weakened gaps between cells or through follicles or glands, which can lead to skin diseases. So there is a need to have a sound skin barrier system. I hope I have addressed your query. If you need clarifications, I am happy to help.

|