Q. What can be done for engorged vein in the penis?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

I am a 31-year-old physically active male and I have been worried about the size of my superficial dorsal vein of the penis. It has slowly increased in thickness over the past few years. It looks extremely engorged in both erect and flaccid state. I am not experiencing any pain or erection problems so far. I had one varicocele surgery on the left side and two inguinal hernias repair seven years ago. I am not sure if there is any correlation. Is this a cause for concern? Should I consider any treatment?

#

The dorsal veins of the penis (superficial and deep) drain most of the penile blood back towards the heart. They have to be tortuous so that when the penis becomes erect, they do not stretch too much. The superficial vein is prominent because it is just below the skin. I would not worry about it. This is normal. Any lumpiness or ballooning or skin changes are abnormal and will require medical attention. Take care.

| 
Hi Dr. Saurabh,

Thank you for your answer.
However I don't think this level of tortuosity is normal. It didn't use to be that thick a few years back. In four years the vein almost doubled its thickness (about 8mm diameter). I often experience a slight heaviness during hot days in the summer.
Is there anything I can do to reverse it?
# Hi,
veins, including penile veins may change in size and shape over time. size can vary upto 15 mm as well.
if you feel something is not OK, you can consult your doctor for this. it may require an examination or Doppler test to check if there is any clot or abnormal valves causing this.
otherwise there is not much to worry.
take care.

| 

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full »

I Have A Vein Visible On My Penis Even In A Flaccid State. Should I Be Worried?

Query: Hello doctor, The last you gave me an answer for my query but somehow I could not send you pictures and I am sorry for that. I have a vein on the left side of my penis which is totally visible. It is not a painful one but its totally visible even in a flaccid state also. I need ...  Read Full »