Q. Is it possible to get rashes in thighs due to psoriasis?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

I have a rash on my inner thighs. I am male, 28 years. I have had history of ezcema, psoriasis and jock itch. Hands, feet, and groin area. I am trying to determine if I have psoriasis or jock itch. I have been using Antroquoril cream. I also have Emuovate available too. It is frustrating. I have not done anything different. I get random flare ups or if i stay in sports clothes can get jock itch. At the moment it is identical opposite on my inner thighs one red patch blotchy soild circle or slightly separated with tiny bumps slighty itchy and is red slighty sometimes hot where hair does not grow on my thigh. Also I have had constant redness on testicles for a while which gets redder in the shower not as bad as it was for which the dermatologist said to use Emuovate. By the time I book in to see the specialist the rash had gone.

#

Hope you are keeping safe and doing well.

1) I understand your concern about the doubt of it being a psoriatic or a fungal lesion. I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read your brief history, it most likely looks like an Ezcema patch, with or without a coexisting fungal growth as that region is prone for it. If it was a pure fungal lesion you could appreciate its well active and raised borders and less redness in the centre. If it was a psoriatic patch, you would find the lesion to be more scaly in nature when you itch and it would have a tendency to give bleeding points.

2) You can:

- Lotrisone cream(Clotrimazole / Betamethasone) application once in the night for 7 days

- Clotrimazole powder for the scrotal area in the morning

- Ketoconazole soap for bath daily

- Cetaphil lotion to apply in the morning and afternoon

- T. Atarax 10 mg once daily in the night for 7 days Provided you do not have any prior allergy to these medications. Review after 7 days with a photo.

Please keep in mind that when you are prone to get a fungal infection or eczema, you may get it recurrently when there are triggering factors like stress, excessive sweating and wearing wet clothes and a humid weather.

3) You can follow some simple measures like:

- Wearing loose clothes until the flare up reduces

- Keep the area always dry

- Use only dry clothes

- Iron your clothes before wearing to kill the fungal molds

- Do not share your personal belongings

- Maintain a good genital hygiene

- Do not wash the scrotal area with very hot water.

|