Q. The rash on the back of my hand is spreading across my hand. Why?

Dr. Neha Sud
I have a rash on the back of my hand. It's been coming and going over the years, but now its spreading across the rest of my hand. It was just itchy bumps all close together, however now it's more of a flat raised area, with the skin dry after swimmjng in a chlorinated pool.
#

You seem to have got a little sun reaction called Polymorphous light eruption Your medication Lamotrigine does make you a little more sun sensitive, but as this can’t be stopped and may not be the only reason

I would suggest that you apply a good physical sunscreen (containing zinc oxide/ titanium dioxide) at least 20 mins before you step out or enter the pool

Make sure for water activities the sunscreen is water resistant and doesn’t get washed off on contact with water

Currently to soothen the skin you can use a hydrocortisone cream, that would be a available over the counter, twice a day for 5-6 days and keep the area moisturised well with a body lotion (repeated applications). The skin eventually gets dry (so keep moisturising) and recovers.

If you are very itchy you can take an antihistamine, but mostly may not be required if you moisturise well. Hope this was helpful

|