Q. What is a complementing skin care regime when undergoing skin resurfacing treatment?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2022

I have started getting Venus Viva skin resurfacing treatment for atrophic acne scars. I will be getting six sessions over the next six months. I want to complement this treatment with a healthy skin care regime. I read that aloe vera gel and certain essential oils such as carrot seed and lavender essential oil aid in skin regeneration. My question is can I apply these oils (diluted in grapeseed oil) or aloe vera gel as an overnight lotion? Will it clash with whatever process the viva treatment has initiated within my skin? I do not like the night cream offered by my cosmetologist as it appears a little too emollient and does not smell that good. Also, I would rather use something natural.

#

I have noted your concern.

A resurfacing treatment would leave your skin red and sensitive for a few days till the epidermis regenerates fully. So, you should be judicious in using products which supposedly while aiding skin regeneration are in fact, irritating or comedogenic. I am against using essential oils on the face, particularly because they usually do not suit sensitive skin and being an oil they can flare up acne which I am sure would be the last thing in the world you would be expecting, considering that you are taking these sessions to improve the appearance of your acne scars. Aloe vera gel is a good option and you can definitely use it post resurfacing sessions. Make sure you use a good brand and not raw aloe vera extracted directly from the leaves.

|