Q. I have major sleeping problem with mood swing and behavior change. Please help.

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 14, 2020

I have major sleeping problems where I do not get sleep at night sometimes until late or sometimes at all. I also have a lot of mood swings where I am really happy at times and the next second my mood switches. I feel very confused about my behavior and in general, I do not like interacting or making conversations with people. So I get really conscious and think about scenarios about how to say what. I keep worrying a lot about different things and have difficulty focusing on things and especially because of irregular sleep I am having problems. I get scared of sleeping at times and have nightmares at times when I do.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, I can imagine how hard it must be for you.

With the little information that I have, I think your sleep issues are just an external expression of underlying anxiety. It is the fear that is keeping you awake so to help you with your sleep issues.

First, we need to take a few measures to help you in increasing your relaxation levels which would calm you down. For that, you can try why deep breathing exercises like box breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation before sleep. You have to maintain your sleep hygiene which essentially means regulating your bedtime and your process of going to sleep which in common language is called night rituals.

Once you have established this then you need to work on your anxiety. As you have also mentioned that you were sent for anger management 10 years ago, I would suggest starting psychotherapy as soon as possible which will help you understand the negative thoughts which are causing all these mood symptoms.

Taking care of anxiety and anger is one thing, then the next step is finding the root cause of it and getting rid of it will help you solve the issue permanently. So I would suggest you to start psychotherapy. You can find a local counselor or we can start therapy online via video consultations.

| 

Why do I have mood swings, hot flushes and low mood around my periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I have a diagnosis of autism. I have mood swings, feeling low/ depressed, which I do not know if it is related to my periods. People tend to notice more just before and during my periods (but also I do not know if it is partly frustration due to my living ci...  Read Full »

Will 5-HTPn help to increase serotonin level? Suffering from sleeping problem, depression and anxieties.

Query: Dear Doctor, I have a problem of sleeping at a scheduled time. I always sleep in a different time and it is getting delayed every day, like a cycle. For example: If today I sleep at 9:00 pm, in few days I will be sleeping at 10:00 pm. And in a few weeks, I would sleep at 4:00 AM. I also have depress...  Read Full »

How to get rid of sleep disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. My weight is 74 kg and I am having an excellent physical shape. I think I have some sleep issue. I did not get proper sleep for any days and hence, I feel tired and irritable at times. I am very active professionally and leading very engaging life. I am not suffe...  Read Full »