The buildup of dead skin cells, oil, and other secretions on the male and female genitalia is called smegma. It is usually found under the foreskin of the penis and between the folds of the vagina or clitoral hood. If not washed regularly, it can cause redness, irritation, and swelling.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am having difficulty in urination with smegma and a burning sensation after semen loss. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have symptoms like stricture urethra and difficulty to urinate, and I need to apply more pressure during urination and my penis is not circumcised. Nowadays, I crack my penis foreskin during contact, and sometimes, a smegma-type white substance is seen on the penis. I also have a bur...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to I read your query and understand your concern. From your history, the condition is more likely a stricture urethra. For diagnosis, you need urethrogram antegrade and retrograde studies. After that only, we can decide on treatment options. As far as smegma is c...  Read Full »

I have a frequent accumulation of white flecks over my penis. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been getting this white stuff that accumulates more and more when I rub my penis head. I have been washing it off every night, but the next day when I rub it same stuff accumulates again. I am not sure what is causing this.Previously I had a yeast infection two months ago, but I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to These white flecks or smegma is infection is the most common fungal infection. This requires proper cleaning by fully retracting the foreskin and applying antifungal cream like Canesten (Clotrimazole and Lidocaine) cream 1 % twice daily for ten days. I hope this wil...  Read Full »

Why am I having pain in my penis after having sex frequently?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I am married since six years. I went abroad for a project for two months. There were no sexual relations in these two months. I just came back from the project and am having sex twice a day for the past three days. Now, I have a slight pain in the tip and ba...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You can apply Acyclovir cream and Clotrimazole cream both together, thrice a day, until completely free of the problem and four to five days after that, use condoms. For further queries consult a sexologist online -->  Read Full »

I have hard lump under the penis shaft. Is it smegma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 84 kg. My medical history includes psoriasis, hyperuricemia and essential primary hypertension. I am taking Cilacar 10 mg (Cilnidipine) one tablet daily after dinner at 9 PM for hypertension. For psoriasis I am applying Propygenta...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan. G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I think the lumps that you able to feel are nothing but smegmoliths. These are nothing but concretions of smegma, if not cleaned for a long time. Are you able to retract your foreskin completely? If you cannot, then you may be having phimosis, which can be managed by c...  Read Full »

I am a 22-year-old male having smegma under my foreskin, which goes away with washing. How to prevent smegma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old male, height is 5'10, and my weight is 72 kg. I had smegma when I was around 18 years old, and at that time, it went away naturally after like one month. I do not remember now. I started seeing smegma two weeks ago under my foreskin and a few red spots. I do not have a...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. Smegma is a normal secretion in males; it will be excess if you sweat a lot. I suggest you wash it every day with just water during the bath. If you do not wash it every day it can accumulate and cause infection and a bad odor. Better a...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest some treatment for redness and pain on the glans.

Query: Hello doctor, I have redness and pain on the glans with whitish skin layer peeling off after a bath. I have been using Candid ointment for about 10 days without much relief. Should I change over to Candid B instead?  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi,Welcome to you do not regularly wash under the foreskin, a cheesy material, called smegma, accumulates. This can become infected and cause irritation. The solution is to wash carefully with warm salty water.If this occurred following sexual intercourse, then this is probably caused...  Read Full »

Does smegma discharge cause foreskin itching after intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor,The day after having sex, my penis foreskin is itching, and there are small white pimples forming on my foreskin and penis glans. I am taking Fluconazole 150 oral tablet. Two days after taking the tablet, there is forming like dead skin on my penis. When I wash, it goes easily. Two or thre...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I assume it is with the same partner. Note that you need not have to take the tablets every time. Normally in every male, there occurs a secretion called smegma. When you are not cleaning your penis daily by withdrawing the foreskin and exposing the glance penis, it ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of extra skin after circumcision?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37-years-old male with a height of 5'8" and a weight of 260 pounds. I was circumcised at birth. But now, my penis has all the characters of an uncircumcised penis. It produces smegma, odor, and sometimes yeast infections. I am embarrassed about it, and hence I have not asked th...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Kindly upload the pictures for a better understanding. Thanks.  Read Full »

Due to excess masturbation, my penis head is red with a white layer. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to continuous masturbation, my penis head became red. Also, some whitish layer has formed on it as well. Sometimes, there is even inflammation in urinating. I am going to get married within a short period, I am worried about this. Can you please advise me some medication?  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Excessive masturbation does not have anything to do with your problem. It is normal to have smegma deposited over the penis and to diagnose your condition further a picture will be needed. Since you also have dysuria, I request you to get a urine routine and culture exami...  Read Full »

Is phimosis curable?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some issues with my penis. When I pull down the skin, it gets stuck sometimes, and I struggle to get the skin back and close, significantly when the head of the penis is enlarged. Another thing is that I have one white circle thing on the penis head, and at the bottom of the backs...  Read Full »

Dr. Varunbabu Aucha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Based on your history, the problem you have in your penis is known as phimosis. In this condition, the skin does not go back, and when you force it stuck as for your condition, you need a minor surgical procedure known as circumcision. It is a daycare procedure. And...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.