Q. White layer on my penis. Is it any sexually transmitted disease?

Dr. Syam Kumar Chandrasekharan
Published on Mar 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I am a 32 year old male. I can observe awhite layer on my penis head just beneath the foreskin.

This layer gets removed after washing, but appears again. Is this any sexually transmitted disease?

#

• Usually, there will be a white creamy layer on glans penis (rounded head of the penis), when you pull your foreskin down.
  • It is nothing but smegma - a combination of shed epithelial cells, oily secretion from glans penis and moisture.
  • If there is no pain, redness or any unusual symptoms, there is no need to worry about it.
  • Pull your foreskin and wash immediately after every urination.
  • Wash with mild soap when you take bath.
  • Clean the penis after every urination and sexual intercourse.

This is not a sign of any Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).

For further follow up, consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, To make a long story short, I used scotch tape and micropore tape respectively on my penis. Two straps of tape were attached to the penis in the form of a cross, so that they met in the tip of the penis' head, while the ends went all the way down to the skin of the shaft. This allowed...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

Why am I having sharp pain in my vagina when I pee?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now