Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Please suggest medicines for redness and pain on the glans.

Answered by
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have redness and pain on the glans with whitish skin layer peeling off after a bath. I have been using Candid ointment for about 10 days without much relief. Should I change over to Candid B instead?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

  • If you do not regularly wash under the foreskin, a cheesy material, called smegma, accumulates. This can become infected and cause irritation. The solution is to wash carefully with warm salty water.
  • If this occurred following sexual intercourse, then this is probably caused by allergy to thrush in your partner’s vagina. If she is treated, the problem will usually go.
  • Also, this can be due to candida infection, but since it is not responding to treatement, then this could be an early sign of diabetes.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hi doctor,

Thank you for replying. I am not diabetic at all. Further, there is no sexual contact. I am very particular about hygiene. However, I may have sweated too much in the recent humid weather and invited the infection. My question is, after Candid total, should any other ointment be tried? What oral medication would you suggest? Kindly advise as soon as possible. Thanks.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to

  • I would suggest you try taking oral Itraconazole daily for two weeks, after consulting your physician.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why am I having pain in penis after masturbating?
What is causing burning pain in penis with yellow colored urine?
What medicine shall I use for inner thigh infection?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is it possible for a fungal infection to cause low-grade fever?

Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full »

What is Fourderm cream used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I am working at a steel industry. So, due to excess heat in the workplace I always have a lot of sweat in private areas. I consult a doctor for the infection. He prescribed me Betadine powder to use and Fourderm cream. Is it helpful?  Read Full »

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.