Q. I feel panic to face people in public. Is it fine to take Inderal?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am getting panic to face people. I want to overcome it as it makes me sad. I am a teacher and this frustrates me when I have to say something in front of pupils. When I am in class I do not have a problem. But for example, when all the students gathered in the yard I used to avoid speaking to them. I always felt embarrassed when I was with many people and when I had to say something I felt that I was shivering. When we prepared a presentation I assigned it to a student to present it and everybody were impressed but the reason I avoided speaking was the embarrassment I felt. This year however I became assistant principal. When I want to inform something to the students I am telling some other teachers to announce it. However, I am sure that nobody has understood anything because I am good as a teacher. The pupils as well their parents like me. They greet me cordially and show respect. I am 44 years old. I have never taken medication in the past. Now, I was prescribed Inderal. If I try Inderal, what dosage would you recommend? I know this medicine because my brother and my father take it. Is it something addictive? Does it cause drowsiness? I hope you will help me .Thank you.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

The symptoms and details you have mentioned clearly suggest social anxiety disorder.

In social situations like speaking in front of a gathering, talking to someone of high reputation, speaking with opposite sex individuals develop anxiety symptoms like redness of face, tightness of body, feeling as if body will fall down, trembling, slurred voice, dryness of throat, etc. These are the symptoms of anxiety and should be treated properly.

You have mentioned that you develop these symptoms especially when you have to speak on a large group like in assembly or yard. In such situation we can suggest you to take Propranolol (Inderal).

If the situation is severe, then regular use of anti-anxiety drugs like SSRIs is advised (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Regular intake will help to control the anxiety symptoms.

Apart from conventional treatment I would advise you to try progressive muscle relaxation exercise. You can take help of internet source for that. Do yoga to keep yourself relaxed.

Try to practice by speaking in front of mirror. This will boost your confidence. These methods will help to supplement the actions of the drugs.

If your blood pressure and pulse rate are normal then the drug should be started with 10 mg dose and can be increased to 20 mg. The drug can be taken on SOS basis (as and when necessary) like about half to one hour before presentation. This will help to control the autonomic symptoms and you will feel better.

No, the medicine is not addictive. It is very safe and does not cause abuse.

No, the drug will not cause drowsiness. No need to worry. In some cases taking in evening the drug might cause disturbed sleep.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I will follow your advice and I will let you know. Thank you doctor.



Welcome to back to icliniq.com.

Thanks. Take care.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can I reduce social anxiety developed in me?

.. understand your problem. A lot of individuals have social anxiety. The anxiety of being judged, restlessness on speaking in front of people, anticipatory anxiety what others will think about you, reduced confidence and depressive symptoms secondar...   Read full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

that worsens with life stressors with the occurrence of negative life events ... stress of GAD ...   Read full

What are the drugs of choice for social anxiety?

I have been suffering from social anxiety for the past one year ... After that, I overcame my social anxiety and became confident ... ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.