Q. How to control social anxiety?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

My social anxiety is severe and disabling me. I would really like to gain adequate control of it. I have attached a brief history of my psychiatric illnesses and previously tried pharmacotherapies. Is there anything else you would suggest?

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I understand your issue. I have read the attached document carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As I can make out, over a period of time, your other symptoms have resolved quite a bit, but the social anxiety, emotional instability and lack of fluency in speech is not improving.

My suggestions would be as you are well aware of your disease and symptoms; you can be a good patient for CBT- cognitive behavior therapy.

It is a therapy in which patients are taught to change their thinking in everyday situations. Learn to apply it, definitely it would work.

I do not advise any change in medicines, because the medicines you have been prescribed over a period of time are very carefully chosen.

Regular meditation would definitely help you. It builds up positive neurotransmitters in the brain. Please do that.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|