Q. Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children with a soft cleft palate also need to go under this repair. I do not see any misplacement in her teeth as well as a plastic surgeon, who performed her soft cleft surgery, also did not inform us about it. So, my question is do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well? What are the symptoms to identify whether our child need it?

#

• Soft cleft palate means a submucus cleft of the soft palate. That means a midline defect of the muscles, which failed to completely join at the correct positions during development. But, the bony structure is sound.
  • Many times speech problems are associated with the same.
  • This usually does not involve any typical dental features of the cleft palate as you may have read. This is because the area of poor development was much further from the dentition.
  • Similarly, since there are no bony defects, orthognathic surgery is not indicated because of the submucous cleft palate. The surgery would have been to repair these muscular connections.
  • However, this does not mean that your daughter will never require dental or orthodontic treatment. You can worry about the same as the permanent teeth start to erupt.
  • You can get a dental check up every 6 months for your child to start with and then as indicated by the pedodontist.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

| 

Do children with soft cleft palate also need multiple surgeries to fix the issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having one doubt in my mind. Previously, I read that all cleft palate children usually undergo multiple surgeries. Is this statement valid for the soft cleft palate as well? Children with soft cleft palate also need to undergo multiple surgeries? My child was having only soft cl...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthodontist Now