Q. I have dry, cracked nipples on both sides. Could it be Paget's disease?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I have dry, cracked nipples and not sure if it is normal.

#

I understand your concern.

Looking at the photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there can be two differentials, nipple eczema or Paget's disease of the breast.

Pagets is a more severe condition out of this, so I would recommend a skin biopsy as soon as possible to rule it out.

It affects both breasts and has been like this for a long time. E45 helps reduce the build-up of dry skin, but it still looks cracked even after moisturizing a lot. I have never had eczema and do not suffer from dry skin. Could it be a yeast infection? I thought Pagets only affects one breast. I have it on both, so does this rule Pagets out?

#

Yes, it is extremely rare for Pagets to be bilateral but reported. Differentials would be eczema and Pagets lower down, but you should go for a biopsy if it is not improving.

Try taking weekly Fluconazole 150 gram for two weeks. If not already tried and a combination of Clotrimazole with Beclomethasone like Candid-B cream for 10 to 14 days will cover both eczema and possible fungal infection.

Fungal infection can easily be ruled out by a superficial KOH smear if available nearby. But yes, it is extremely rare for the Pagets to be bilateral. Only a few reports are there in the literature.

Try taking weekly Fluconazole 150 gram for two weeks, is it only one tablet a week?

#

Yes, one tablet per week for two weeks. So total two tablets.

|