Q. A piece of bone has protruded through my gums and is causing tongue ulcers. What to do?

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam

I've had a tooth extraction at hospital due to having had Zolandronic infusions. Many weeks ago. A piece of bone has protruded through my gum and is very painful causing ulcers on my tongue. I have had 2 course of Amoxicilin. The dentist tried to pull the bone out before realizing that it was joined on to my jaw. I am told that they hope the gum will grow over, so far it has not. The consultant plans to give me a 'phone consultation this week, I fail to see what good this will do.

#

Hello, Welcome to icliniq.

I'm sorry for the problems you have. Do you have paget's disease or osteoporosis? It is not a good sign if bone gets exposed or protruded. You didn't mention the site but I assume it is a lower tooth. Did the protruded bone came through the socket or elsewhere. Was the tooth extracted surgically? It can happen if the bone was fractured during the extraction procedure or there was a sharp bone margin left over after extraction which should be trimmed.

In this situation, antibiotics won't be helpful. Rather it should be managed surgically by exposing the bone and grinding the sharp margin followed by closure by stitches.

Please send me pictures of the affected region so that I can help you with the proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Thank you for contacting us.

| 

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article

The site of tooth extraction looks like a mold. What is the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I need help. I had my molar extracted last week. The area where the tooth was removed is looking very weird. Green, white, blue, yellow, with a tint of blood? It looks like a mold. I am taking Mefenamic acid thrice a day, I put ice on it, and I am on a soft diet. It is sometimes painful,...  Read Full »

Can a woman with osteoporosis conceive?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old married female. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am really worried whether I would be able to conceive or not. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Now