Q. My breast milk secretion reduced due to stress. How to increase the supply in natural way?

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 03, 2020

My baby girl is around 15 days old. I have had a normal delivery. At first, when she was three days old till the eighth day, I had engorged breasts with full milk but later there was a sudden drop in the supply. What might be the reason? Will the hot summer influence breast milk production? Also, I have taken a lot of stress due to the death of one of my relatives. So now what should I do to increase my milk production can I use Lactare capsules and Lactolina powder together? If so how long should I use and what is the dose? I have been using fenugreek since three days. Are there any other natural techniques to increase breast milk production without the use of these capsules? I do not have any complications throughout my pregnancy. Everything was normal then why did this happen to me? I am worried. Please help me because I want to breastfeed my baby exclusively for at least six months if possible until 1 year.

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute

Child Health Lactation Counselor Paediatrics
#

I understand the problem which you are going through. During breastfeeding period if there are any stressors (like excessive worry regarding the baby, sudden demise in the family) it decreases the prolactin reflex in the body and hence reduces the milk output. There are a few tips which may be helpful.

1) Be relaxed, calm and positive.

2) Try to generate lots of positive feelings towards the baby.

3) Keep continuing with a good diet and adequate sleep.

4) If the baby is on formula feed now, try to attach the baby to the breasts every time before giving formula.

5) Try to find out local causes like inverted or sore nipples if any.

These are the few ways that you may try to increase milk output naturally. You can try taking Shatavari powder in milk twice daily and the capsules you are already taking. These things may be sufficient to increase the milk output because most of the times it is the psychological impact that affects the milk output.

| 

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

How to correct inguinal hernia in a 4-weeks-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 4 weeks old baby boy. He was healthy without any pain or colics. But yesterday I noticed a swelling in his inguinal area, I went to the hospital, and the doctor said he had left inguinal hernia. But it is not bad. The problem is he is not taking feed regularly, and when I try...  Read Full »

Ask a Lactation Counselor Now