Q. Are hiatal hernias related to autism?

Answered by Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Autism Signs or High Fibre Diet? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have a son who was diagnosed with autism at 2.5 years. He is now 7 years old. He is verbal now and has improved a lot with the help of therapies. How close is a hiatal hernia associated with autism? We have a history of hiatal hernias in my family. I also read that hiatal hernia can irritate or damage vagus nerve, which may result in autistic symptoms. My son gets frequent hiccups and has a slight swelling in his upper abdomen. Kindly confirm if there is really a link between autism, vagus nerve, and hiatal hernia. Is there any treatment in ayurveda or siddha for this? Thanks in advance for the replies and your valuable time.