Q. I had fracture in T2 and T4 vertebrae due to car accident. Will it heal like a normal fracture?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I am a little stressed as I headed a car accident a week ago. I have a fracture in my T2 and T4 vertebrae. Doctor send me home with no brace and asked me to just take it easy. They advised me not to lift heavy weight and it will heal in six weeks. I am feeling good but there is a little sore. I did not have any pain killers for three days now. Will they heal like a normal fracture?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to iclniq.com.

You have mentioned a car accident about a week ago in which you fractured T2 and T4 vertebrae. For any spinal fracture, opinion is based upon:

1) Detailed neurological examination of the patient.

2) x-ray and if needed MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the involved region of the spine to know the status of the bony alignment and the spinal cord.

Since you have been advised six weeks of light work, not lifting any heavy weight, etc, it appears that you just have a very minor crack of the involved vertebrae. But I will reserve my opinion once I have all the information in the form of clinical examination findings and related investigation reports.

Also if the fracture is minor or undisplaced then sometimes doctors do not prescribe braces because rib cage provides enough splintage.

Car accident.

X-ray and MRI dorsal spine with images.

Rest or mobilization with a brace (further opinion reserved until I can see the fracture configuration).

Do not bend forwards acutely.
Do not lift any heavyweight.

Follow up after three to four weeks with x-ray images.

|