Q. Is it safe to get pregnant with an enlarged spleen?

Published on Jan 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I have a hemoglobin C, and an enlarged spleen (18 cm), my doctor said as long as it does not hurt we will keep it. I do not sleep well because I feel like there is a big heavy ball in my stomach moving. I gave birth two years ago and I want to have another baby. My question is: is it safe to be pregnant with an 18 cm spleen? Is there a risk of splenectomy while I am pregnant? Is it safe to be pregnant without a spleen?

Hematology Pathology
#

You are having hemoglobin C hemoglobinopathy leading to hemolysis and hence splenomegaly is present. Your hemoglobin level also should be checked.

In this case, as the cell turnover is high, folic acid is prescribed. If splenectomy is done, in pregnancy, there are chances of infections and other complications as per few studies.

And also enlarged spleen creates trouble in pregnancy as uterine growth in pregnancy is affected and enough space might not available as the spleen is much enlarged. So, at this point, in my opinion, you should wait for sometime.

And, before planning for conception, consult a gynecologist for examination and discuss these issues and accordingly plan the pregnancy. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Should I be concerned about my low RBC, WBC, and hemoglobin count?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female aged 44 years and height 5'4", weight 100 kg. Current medications Potassium Chloride four times a day, red blood count of 2.2, a white blood count of 3.5, and an HB of 10.2. Is there something to be concerned about? My doctors are not concerned but it seems a little low ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should be concerned about it. It is showing a decrease in all the three cell lines so it is moving towards pancytopenia. I guess there is no history of such problems in the family. There are multiple causes for this, and common is vitamin B12 deficiency an...  Read Full

Can hypothyroidism cause a decrease in platelet counts?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my TSH 7.59 mIU/L before one month. Now my TSH is 5.9 mIU/L. But my platelet count was reduced to 127,000 per microliter of blood. About two weeks ago, I got RPOC after abortion. Now again I have done a CBC. This time also, I had my platelet count 127,000 per microliter of blood and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and hypothyroidism is not related to low platelet count. Giant platelets are present when there is destruction in platelets. Temporary viral infection, dengue, malaria, uremia, splenomegaly, bacterial infection are some of the causes t...  Read Full

Intermenstrual Bleeding or Spotting - Is it Normal or Should I be Worried?

Article Overview: Intermenstrual vaginal bleeding or spotting or bleeding between periods is considered abnormal and may usually require a patient seeing a doctor. It is also termed metrorrhagia. Normally, a woman has a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days with ranges between 21-35 days considered normal and menses can last for 2-7 days. Any bleeding out of these are considered abnormal.  Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Causes of Intermenstrual bleeding: Intermenstrual bleeding or bleeding between periods can be caused by a vast number of factors which may be physical or organic and psychosocial. If you are experiencing intermenstrual bleeding, then your doctor maybe a able to rule out one of the below most probab...  Read Article

Ask a Hematologist Now