Q. Is it safe to get pregnant with an enlarged spleen?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I have a hemoglobin C, and an enlarged spleen (18 cm), my doctor said as long as it does not hurt we will keep it. I do not sleep well because I feel like there is a big heavy ball in my stomach moving. I gave birth two years ago and I want to have another baby. My question is: is it safe to be pregnant with an 18 cm spleen? Is there a risk of splenectomy while I am pregnant? Is it safe to be pregnant without a spleen?

#

You are having hemoglobin C hemoglobinopathy leading to hemolysis and hence splenomegaly is present. Your hemoglobin level also should be checked.

In this case, as the cell turnover is high, folic acid is prescribed. If splenectomy is done, in pregnancy, there are chances of infections and other complications as per few studies.

And also enlarged spleen creates trouble in pregnancy as uterine growth in pregnancy is affected and enough space might not available as the spleen is much enlarged. So, at this point, in my opinion, you should wait for sometime.

And, before planning for conception, consult a gynecologist for examination and discuss these issues and accordingly plan the pregnancy. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|