Q. I have heavy bleeding and spotting at times. Is there a possibility that I might have ectopic pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Hello doctor,

I am 21 years old. I decided to contact you because I do not know what to do. I had sex with my husband, and then we found out that he had a chlamydia infection. Since then, I am feeling sick all the time. My stomach was hurting a lot, and I had problems with passing urine, and it started to hurt deep inside. I went to a sexual health clinic, and I had a test (it came out as negative after one week), and they treated me for chlamydia. I was told to wait for a week for the symptoms to stop, but it was just getting worse and worse. I had heavy bleeding, spotting at times, and I was not able to move because of the pain. Those are just some of the symptoms I was having.

I came back to the clinic, and they thought it could be PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease). So, they treated me for that. But those antibiotics did not help as well. I still have abdominal pain. I can feel something moving and kicking inside me. It is there all the time. I was at the clinic yesterday, and I had two pregnancy tests. The results came out the same (one clear line and the other one very light). The possibility of me being pregnant is very less because I was taking birth control pills for 2 years, and we always use condoms. Except for one time which was two months ago, but my husband did not ejaculate inside me.

I did not have periods for 2 years, and that is why the bleeding worried me. I stopped taking birth control pills one week ago because I was worried that it could be pregnancy. I have read a lot about ectopic pregnancy, and the symptoms are the same as what I have been experiencing. I did two pregnancy tests at home, and they were negative. The sexual health clinic said that there is a possibility that I might have an ectopic pregnancy. I am very scared. It has been two months already, and I cannot stand it. What do I do? Am I pregnant?

Do you have a question on Ectopic Pregnancy or Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

If pregnancy is the concern, then the best way to find out is to get a blood serum beta hCG test done. This is a confirmatory test for pregnancy as the urine pregnancy kits may show false positive results. If the level of hCG is more than 1 or raised, then pregnancy is confirmed. If the level is less than 1, then pregnancy is completely ruled out.

If the test is positive, then you should undergo an ultrasound pelvis to locate the pregnancy for its site, which could be intrauterine or possibly in the tubes (ectopic). If the USG shows extrauterine pregnancy, then you would require a laparoscopic salpingectomy to remove the damaged tube along with the ectopic pregnancy. If the pregnancy is intrauterine, then you may decide upon continuing the pregnancy.

If the test is negative, then the possible cause remains UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) or a possible PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) or endometriosis. Also, stress per se can cause derangement of hormonal balance and can cause heavy bleeding in spite of being on continuous progesterone pills. This can be controlled with antifibrinolytics in the absence of pregnancy.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Having backache badly and vagina smelly discharge. Can you suggest any treatments?
Query: Hi doctor,I am sexually active with one partner only. I am not well for the last 4 months. I am having bad backache and a smelly, white thick sometimes brown color vaginal discharge, lower abdomen pain and vaginal pain while urination. I have consulted my gynecologist and took proper medicine. Now a...  Read Full »
Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya
General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common cause of infertility if not treated in early stages. Follow the instructions and antibiotics given by your doctor and have a scan done. So, that you will come to know the progress of the disease. Do not...  Read Full »
I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full »
Dr. Sameer Kumar
Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full »
Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?
Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full »
Dr. Sameer Kumar
Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In your case, if pregnancy test has been negative, even till date, then you are surely not pregnant. The delay and irregularity need to be evaluated and investigated to rule out PCOS (polycystic ovarian disease), hypothyroidism or hyperprolactinemia, which are the most...  Read Full »


Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Doctor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.