Q. Having spotting after emergency contraceptive pill. Is there anything to worry?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been sexually active for the past four months. We initially did not use protection, in order to avoid pregnancy I have used emergency contraceptive pills for a few times now. My periods got delayed by a day or two but with no major changes in the cycle. Last month I found spotting around the time of ovulation and assumed that it was a sign for fertility. This month again I found spotting but it is a little severe. It is not much as during periods but still more than just spotting. Is there anything to worry?

#

• First of all, this is not acceptable if you take I-pill frequently.
  • As these pills are of high hormonal content, it can mess up your internal hormonal balance. So, you may have these types of few abnormal bleeding for the following few weeks.
  • I suggest you to start regular contraceptive pills from the first day of your next cycle onwards. It will help you not only for protection but also for regularization of cycle.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|