Q. Is surgery really required for squamous cell carcinoma of tongue?

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder

I am diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma (tongue) after biopsy report. I have completed PET scan, CT scan, and biopsy. I want advise on the treatment plan. Is surgery really required for good results?

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

My diagnosis is squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue with probably neck nodes involvement. The lesion is quite large, crossing the midline and touching the alveolus. At this stage, surgery will be difficult. Probably, you will need two cycles of chemotherapy followed by reassessment for surgery.

In this case, surgery involving neck dissection and reconstruction will be needed, followed by postoperative radiation depending on postoperative reports.

If you have any other questions I am happy to help you.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

|