Q. Report shows squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. Please suggest what to do.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

My mom had gone through biopsy and the report came today. The report shows SCC - well-differentiated invasive on right lateral side of the tongue. Kindly suggest me what to do.

#

The biopsy (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is showing tongue cancer. So, now she has to undergo further investigations such as CT Scan/PET CT to rule out metastasis (cancer spread to any other part). After all these investigations, the oncologist will stage the cancer. (There are 4 stages).

Once staging workup is completed, she may need surgery to remove the tongue lesion or radiotherapy with weekly chemotherapy depends on the stage. During treatment, she may experience side effects which may affect her daily activities.

The common cause of tongue cancer is smoking, chewing tobacco, snuff, gutka, pan, etc.

Early stage tongue cancer is usually curable. I wish her full recovery.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

|