Tongue Cancer

What is foliate papillitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old female, who has an inflamed looking foliate papillae on right side of the tongue towards the back, it has been like this for more than three weeks now. It has not gotten better or worse, pretty much looks the same. It creates this feeling of something stuck in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lesion on the tongue (attachment removed to protect patient identity) appears to be an ulcerative lesion. You should get yourself examined by an ENT specialist because I think a biopsy might be required. As you might have taken antibiotics for tooth infection, the t...  Read Full »

Please suggest the treatment procedure followed for squamous cell carcinoma of tongue.

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 77 years old. He is diagnosed with moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, in the right vallecula and at the base of the tongue aggregating 0.5 × 0.5 × 0.2 cm. He has pain and sensation while eating and drinking. What is the treatment? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Treatment of choice in this condition is radical radiotherapy using IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy) and IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy) technique with concurrent weekly cisplatin chemotherapy.  Read Full »

Please go through biopsy report of tongue cancer and advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was diagnosed with tongue cancer and the doctor suggested to operate. So, we operated at a cancer hospital and we received a final biopsy report. Squamous cell carcinoma. Moderately differentiated. The depth of infiltration 3 mm. Re-revised base-unremarkable. All mucos...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per it, looks like she had stage-I disease. No lymph node involvement. No other adverse factors. I do not think there is any further need for radiation or chemotherapy. Initial thre...  Read Full »

Is surgery really required for squamous cell carcinoma of tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma (tongue) after biopsy report. I have completed PET scan, CT scan, and biopsy. I want advise on the treatment plan. Is surgery really required for good results?  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My diagnosis is squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue with probably neck nodes involvement. The lesion is quite large, crossing the midline and touching the alveolus. At this stage, s...  Read Full »

Report shows squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. Please suggest what to do.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom had gone through biopsy and the report came today. The report shows SCC - well-differentiated invasive on right lateral side of the tongue. Kindly suggest me what to do.  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The biopsy (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is showing tongue cancer. So, now she has to undergo further investigations such as CT Scan/PET CT to rule out metastasis (cancer spread to any other part). After all these investigations, the oncologist wil...  Read Full »

Please clarify my mother's biopsy report.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 68 years old. She is 70 kg weight. A painless liaison has developed on the right lateral part of the tongue. I have consulted with an ENT surgeon and he advised for biopsy. The incision biopsy was done and the report is attached. Please clarify the report. If that is cancer, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatric Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect identity) and unfortunately I find it to be a cancerous lesion. It is cancer and the stage can be ascertained after clinical examination of the local and surrounding areas and after investigations. After evalu...  Read Full »

Can cancer recur within six months of operation?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother-in-law gone through CA tongue right side operation followed by radiation and chemotherapy before six months. From last two weeks, he is getting pain on the left side of the tongue and we consulted the doctor again. Doctor said that there is no possibility for further operati...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that your brother-in-law has undergone treatment for tongue cancer. Radiation so soon after previous radiation therapy is not advisable. The doctor's opinion is correct. This looks like a very aggressive tumor. We can try chemotherapy, but we cannot be sure o...  Read Full »