Q. After squint surgery, will my eyes look straight?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on May 13, 2016

I am 20 years old. Next month I am going to have my squint surgery for cosmetic purpose. I do not have vision in my right eye now and it turned inwards. After this surgery, will both my eyes look straight? Either I see left or right or up or down will both my eyes work together? How many hours will it take to finish the surgery? While surgery will I realize the pain? Please explain.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• This squint is sensory esotropia, which means that due to some cause your retina detached leaving you with no vision in that eye and at that early age brain failed to keep both eyes straight leaving to squint.
  • Success rate of squint surgery is quite high (90%). Even after squint surgery, eyes never become straight.
  • Excellent outcome is when squint ranges from +/- 8PD meaning excellent outcome is when eyes are either little in or out (range 8PD).
  • It is said that this amount of squint is assessed by clinician on cover test and you will not feel it or nobody will be able to make out this small amount of squint with ease.
  • Ocular movements will definitely be full and free after squint surgery.
  • Surgery time depends on number of muscles getting operated and the amount of squint. Generally for operating one muscle a surgeon needs approximately 10 minutes.
  • Surgery is usually painless and it can be done under local anesthesia or topical anesthesia. But after surgery, you may feel foreign body sensation and watering for few days.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

My age is 26. I have crossed eyes/squint eyes. Suggest me any solution.

Query: Hi, My age is 26 years. I have crossed eyes problem. Can it be brought back to normal by a surgery?  Read Full »

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »

Is squint surgery safe?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a squint in my right eye. It is turned inwards by birth and I have no vision in my right eye. My left eye is 100% perfect. I met an eye specialist. He checked my squint and told that my vision is not recoverable. He advised me to get cosmetic eye muscle surgery. He said it in...  Read Full »