Q. My right eye is smaller than my left eye. How to correct it?

Answered by Dr. Anand and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Squint Eyes or Convergent Squint? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hello doctor,

I am a 19 year old male. My right eye is smaller than my left eye. For this cause I am not able to see clearly with my right eye. Please help.

Related Questions:
Is squint surgery safe?
Please suggest some exercise to reduce squint eyes.
After squint surgery, will my eyes look straight?

Dr. Anand
Ophthalmology (Eye Care


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concerns.

  • I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • This is not a small eye. 
  • This looks like a condition called convergent squint (inward deviation of the eye). This is making your eye appear small. 
  • There are many types of convergent squint. 
  • As you mentioned, since the right eye vision is blurred, most probably it is a type of accommodative convergent squint
  • This condition, if corrected before age of 2 years has good prognosis. 
  • But at your age the eye might have gone for anisometropic amblyopia (i.e, loss of vision due to high difference of refractive error compared to the other eye).

The treatment options for you include:

  • First go for a complete evaluation by an ophthalmologist. He may suggest you full refraction and correction for right eye.
  • If this is not successful, squint surgery may be done to make the eye straight (may not be helpful for vision).

Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist


I just want both my eyes look normal i.e, both the eyes of same size, just like a normal man. Can I undergo that surgery?


Dr. Anand
Ophthalmology (Eye Care


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Yes, correction of the position of right eye (squint surgery) will make your eyes appear normal. 
  • But vision may not be corrected.
  • It is not a complicated surgery. You can get it done.

For more details, you can share your old records with an eye care ophthalmologist online --->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Is there anything I can do about decompensated heterophoria?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had binocular, horizontal esotropia for two years now, worse on distant gaze. My ophthalmologist diagnosed it to be decompensated heterophoria. Is there anything I can do about it? I spend a lot of time writing and reading on my computer, could that make it worse?  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Decompensated heterophoria, can result from a variety of decompensating factors. The most notable few are: Refractive error. Recent fever or stressful events like dieting or sleep deprivation. Refractive errors are easy to detect and correct. You can do a simple ...  Read Full »
What to do for sudden vision disturbance in lazy eye?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a congenital left lazy eye, which wanders outwards and upwards. This is managed by prism glasses, currently 7 base vertically and 2 horizontally. I am managing my eye strain and daily life well in general. I do however have occasional episodes, which are not manageable. Sometimes, ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lazy eye is not congenital. It is acquired due to the presence of anisometropia (difference in the refractive status of both eyes) or due to squint or due to congenital cataract or ptosis, etc. Sometimes, lazy eye tends to move out to lead to squint and for that prism ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Sepsis - Causes|Symptoms|Risk Factors|Diagnoses|Treatments|Prevention
Sepsis is a medical emergency, as it causes multiple organ failure. When the body's response to infection in the blood s...  Read more »
I have on and off acid reflux as well as mild dysphagia. Is this esophageal cancer?
Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have been experiencing on and off acid reflux for a few weeks as well as mild dy...  Read more »
There is a hard lump under the nipple. I am afraid of breast cancer. How to proceed further?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an...  Read more »