Q. My right eye is smaller than my left eye. How to correct it?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I am a 19 year old male. My right eye is smaller than my left eye. For this cause I am not able to see clearly with my right eye. Please help.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I understand your concerns.

• I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • This is not a small eye. 
  • This looks like a condition called convergent squint (inward deviation of the eye). This is making your eye appear small. 
  • There are many types of convergent squint. 
  • As you mentioned, since the right eye vision is blurred, most probably it is a type of accommodative convergent squint
  • This condition, if corrected before age of 2 years has good prognosis. 
  • But at your age the eye might have gone for anisometropic amblyopia (i.e, loss of vision due to high difference of refractive error compared to the other eye).

The treatment options for you include:

• First go for a complete evaluation by an ophthalmologist. He may suggest you full refraction and correction for right eye.
  • If this is not successful, squint surgery may be done to make the eye straight (may not be helpful for vision).

Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I just want both my eyes look normal i.e, both the eyes of same size, just like a normal man. Can I undergo that surgery?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Yes, correction of the position of right eye (squint surgery) will make your eyes appear normal. 
  • But vision may not be corrected.
  • It is not a complicated surgery. You can get it done.

For more details, you can share your old records with an eye care ophthalmologist online --->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is there anything I can do about decompensated heterophoria?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had binocular, horizontal esotropia for two years now, worse on distant gaze. My ophthalmologist diagnosed it to be decompensated heterophoria. Is there anything I can do about it? I spend a lot of time writing and reading on my computer, could that make it worse?  Read Full »

How is a sudden vision disturbance in the lazy eye treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a congenital left lazy eye, which wanders outwards and upwards. This is managed by prism glasses, currently 7 base vertically and 2 horizontally. I am managing my eye strain and daily life well in general. I do however have occasional episodes, which are not manageable. Sometimes, ...  Read Full »