Q. Can you please give a second opinion on squint surgery to avoid any permanent damage?

Dr. Arnab Pal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 28, 2021

I am 25 years old, and when I was 1 year old, I had a heat stroke that caused an eye squint. My glasses cover the squint, but it gets noticeable on camera. Also, if I am not wearing glasses and someone looks at me from a distance, squint is quite noticeable. I have been told that my squint cannot be corrected by surgery as there are chances it may not get covered with glasses as well after the surgery. They used to do the eye patch test but never gave me prism glasses. But, recently, I have changed my doctor, and he gave me prism glasses for a month, worked fine, said surgery is possible, and it is my call if I want it. I want to get it corrected and go for the surgery, but with all the fears, I want a second opinion on it to avoid any permanent damage. I am attaching the latest prescriptions along with the prescriptions of my previous doctor.

#

I do not think heat stroke has caused your squint. I would definitely like to see pictures where the squint is visible. You seem to be suffering from the alternate divergent squint. The amount of squint is also not much. So I suggest you try the convergence exercise if you have not tried it. Otherwise, both eye lateral rectus recession of 7.5 mm will be okay, and with you having good vision, squint is unlikely to return after surgery.

|