Q. My report says MV annulus is out of range. What does that mean?

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

Hi doctor,

I just received the results of my 2D echo, and the MV annulus is out of range with a reading of 1.6, the normal range being 3.5 to 4.5. What does this mean? Otherwise, everything is normal.

#

• It means that the annulus of one of the valves on left side, called mitral valve, is reduced in diameter. So, there is an obstruction to the flow of blood from the low-pressure chamber to the high-pressure chamber, that is, from the left atrium to the left ventricle, which can give rise to symptoms like palpitation or shortness of breath.
  • If it is reduced progressively, the condition is called as mitral stenosis.
  • You will need to get an echocardiogram done at regular intervals and follow up with the cardiologist accordingly.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|