Q. Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Aug 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family.

I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health issues besides occasional high blood pressure.

I have been having palpitations for the last month. I get a few palpitations every single day and some are scary and uncomfortable while others really do not bother me. I have had an EKG in the past. I have attached the reports of the same.

I saw a cardiologist and they did a few different tests and said my heart looks normal but I am still getting the palpitations even though my doctor put me on Metoprolol which is a beta blocker. What do you suggest?

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

All the tests are fine. The cardiologist said your heart is normal. So, you do not have to worry.

Tablet Metoprolol has been given for symptomatic relief for your palpitation. Probably, you are having stress.

Manage your stress and you will be fine.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Coronary Artery Disease - a Common Fatal Heart Problem

Article Overview: Coronary artery disease is a common fatal condition. This article includes the symptoms, tests and treatment of coronary artery disease. Read Article

Coronary artery disease is characterized by blockages in the arteries, which supply blood to the heart. This, in turn, will cause nutrition and oxygen deprivement of the heart, which leads to pain and damage to the heart muscle. Heart dysfunction leads to symptoms or heart attack. When to Suspect C...  Read Article

Can machine-generated report of EKG be completely relied upon?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and need a medical certificate. I have hypertension that is controlled easily with 10 mg Propranolol a day and 10 mg Lisinopril a day. My BP is 117/70 with 66 BPM. There are no symptoms of chest pain or shortn...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The interpretation you saw was a machine interpretation and they sometimes drive us crazy. Your ECG (electrocardiogram) is absolutely fine. However, get an ECG for a final confirmation. For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq....  Read Full

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development. Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the str...  Read Full