Q. Can sex cause any bad side effects while taking steriods?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

What is the effect of sex for an athlete? Does sex cause any bad side effects while taking steroids? Because it is said that having sex is not good while taking a steroid cycle as if it will decrease the gains from the steroid. What is the effect of sex on the body generally?

#

• Sex has no ill effect on your body. It is one kind of exercise and stress reliever. It releases endorphins and oxytocin in your body which reduces stress, boosts immunity, relieves pain and enhances mood.
  • Sex increases heart rate, blood pressure, etc., and you might feel exhausted due to physical efforts it takes during intercourse.
  • Sex does not cause any bad effect on body with steroids but taking steroids will definitely cause harm to your body in the long run.
  • Steroid works by replacing the testosterone that would normally be produced by the body.
  • Suppression of natural hormones made in the body is the most common side effect of steroid use.
  • Steroids inhibit the production of HPTA or the hypothalamic pituitary testicular axis once the user stops the steroid cycle.
  • Eventually, the body can no longer produce the necessary amounts of testosterone, leaving the body out of its equilibrium state.
  • These side effects cannot be predicted and it can be mild or severe and temporary or permanent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

Will recurrent fever occur in a patient with gastritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a medical student and my query is regarding my father. My father is suffering from fever, chills and rigor every month along with gastric problem. For gastritis, I am treating him with PPI and Sucralfate. He had similar attack 15 days back. Since I had no clue about the cause, I gave...  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »