Q. Is it advisable to consume steroids while trying to get pregnant?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2020

I have been diagnosed with sinusitis, cold and ear infection for more than 10 days. Took antibiotics with ENT doctor consultation, I could see improvement in sinus pain, cold but one ear still remains clogged, finding difficulty in hearing. When checked with doctor, I was informed that the fluid has entered deep and need steroids to recover it. I have been prescribed Prednisolone 5 mg for 15 days with 6 tablets per day for first five days, then 4 for another 5 days and two for remaining 5 days. Along with this steroid, doctor have given Clarinase and one more tablet named Gasec for preventing the stomach related issues as side effect of taking steroids.

My queries are is it fine to take such tablets while trying to conceive? If not, how many months I have to wait for conceiving? Is it the right treatment for clogged ears due to sinus? What type of side effects can I expect due to this steriod?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If you are trying to get pregnant you must stop Steroids because it has a harmful effects on the nervous and immune system of the fetus but do not panic because you have taken a small dose of Steroids for a short period. Yes, Steroids are one of the best treatments for the collected secretions behind ear drum after sinusitis and common cold. You can start trying to be pregnant the next few days from stopping Steroids. Do not wait for side effects as the dose is small, the period of treatment is short.

| 

Thank you for your response. My last dosage would be in a week. Is it fine if I try to conceive from next month? Will this Steroid promote weight gain? Is there any remedy to maintain weight while having Steroids since I am also having PCOS, I cannot compromise on weight gain while trying to get pregnant, my BMI index is 28.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, you can try to conceive next month. Steroids promote weight gain just in high doses for long periods like 6 months or more. Your dose is minimal and the duration is short so you will not gain more weight.

| 

I have Still's disease from 15 years. Can I take steroids for bodybuilding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from Still’s disease from the past 15 years, and I was 13 years old at that time. Now I am 28 years old, and I have no problems from the disease since the past seven years. The treatment was with Methotrexate and Medrol (Methylprednisolone). From the past seven years,...  Read Full »

Can alcohol and steroid cause heart failure with low ejection fraction?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband was just diagnosed with congestive heart failure with 25% ejection fraction. They also found an artery 100% blocked, but his own body made another vein and they discovered it is viable, so no bypass surgery is needed. They also discovered his mitral valve is stiffened, and no...  Read Full »

What can happen with prolonged use of topical steroids?

Query: Hi doctor, Two years back I had the problem of ringworm on my upper leg near both side of testes and I used antifungal cream Betnovate C and Quadriderm. By using this cream my ringworm are gone but skin becomes very thin with rashes mark. Now there is no problem with ringworm but the skin looks very...  Read Full »