Q. Is it good to take steroids for rheumatoid arthritis?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Hi .

My mom is taking Prednisolone oral tabs daily in the morning. she is taking it for past 5 years. recently she got red spots in her body . docs stopped this medicine for weeks . she got very ill. at tat time she was in tb medication. tb is not detected. still prescribed. after getting worse doc stopped tb medicine and started steroid medication . she is ok. now her dosage is 20 mg. her weight has gained a lot. she always feels very hungry, her legs are swollen. diet couldnt control. physical activity is least possible. kindly clarify why is this happening. how to rectify it. her condition is rheumatoid arthritis and she is 62 years old.

#

Hello

Dear sorry about your mother's health condition.

For rheumatoid arthritis now very good DMARDS available. No need of taking steroid for a long time. Probably she is suffering from vasculitis or other autoimmune disorder which will give temporary relief with steroids and flare up of symptoms.

So now she landed with steroid intake associated with cushing syndrome probably. So slowly wean off steroids over a period of six to ten weeks followed adding of immune suppressent medication is useful. Get it RA factor, ANA, anti RNP, anti ds dna, ESR and CRP levels. Review with reports or consult with your physician he will examine and treat you accordingly. Take care.

|