Q. What can be done to cure tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Jan 14, 2020

I want to tell you that I have sensineural hearing loss and tinnitus according to my reports.

My doctor told me that I have mild sensineural hearing loss. I am sending you reports. I want to clear my doubts about sensineural hearing loss. Is my sensineural hearing loss progressive in future. Will my tinnitus cure of its own? Do I need any further testing like MRI? Please check.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Since how many days are you having hearing loss and tinnitus? If it is since a few days you should try taking oral steroids. Your hearing loss can revert back. MRI or any other scan is not needed. But you do let me know if your tinnitus and hearing loss is sudden in onset or not.

| 

I think my hearing loss and tinnitus is 4 months ago. I do not know it is sudden onset or not but I had fluid in ear that caused pain and swelling but now it is fine. My ENT told me that my hearing loss is not progressive. Please check my reports.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your hearing loss should not be progressive but I asked you for duration so that I can decide if oral steroids will reduce hearing loss or not. If symptoms are since four months then no point in giving steroids. You can start taking tablet called Absolute 3 g which has multivitamins and Gingo Biloba which may or may not reduce tinnitus. But you take it once daily for 30 days and see if you have any improvement. Also get tympanometry done. Tympanometry tells us about middle ear pressure. If there is any pathology in middle ear then that can also cause tinnitus.

| 

Does tinnitus go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, Two months ago, I developed tinnitus which is not yet corrected. At that time, I had water trapped in my right ear but now my ear blockage problem is resolved but my tinnitus problem is not resolved. After this, I went to an ENT and he told me I have a swelling in my left ear. Now he ...  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurveda treatment for this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old female. I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurvedic treatment for this? Because I do not want to use hearing aids. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask an Audiologist Now